Thursday, November 7, 2013

How To Fly Nightmares To DreamWorks by Danny Aponte of P.S 161



 
An old stove was leaking gas in an old kitchen.

 

Three days before Thanksgiving Day 2012, the pipes of the sink burst in an apartment my gray-haired mother had lived in since the last days of Watergate.

 The new landlords told her to move to the other side of the building where long time residents were being concentrated, for the time being, without leases. For a month, we were cut off from the outside world when our mailbox was ripped from the wall. The walls of the courtyard have been painted battleship gray and the gray across the waters called Riker’s Island Prison.

 
“Leave your furniture behind. I’m giving you bunk beds,” a Dominican employee of Paradise Management barked with the look of a Doberman Pincher. The last time I heard an offer of free bunk beds was in Schindler’s List, a movie that branded itself on my mind. I think of the scene where peoples’ belongings were thrown out of windows when our courtyard looked like a landfill in Staten Island.

 We were practically ordered to another old apartment not rent stabilized. Still the Dominican did promise 500 dollars if we moved quickly like the Indians that sold Manhattan for 24 dollars and trinkets. It was an offer better than the previous Italian landlords’ final solution of fixing the old building by soaking the rooftop with gasoline to collect on insurance money.

 Home is not far from Happy Land where over 80 human beings were burnt alive. Across our bedroom windows, the funeral parlor became crowded with screams of those who lost loved ones.


 On an eerily silent night, I opened the window and sensed a sickening light scent of cremation that drifted from the remains of the WTC.  It had lumbered miles on mild wind to remind us we are all connected as sure as the air we need to survive. 

 I have a Ken Burns on the brain mentality. I have to get this story right.

“It was the worse of times…”


 
The urban myth of hell was a real city of illegal guns and roses. This is a mural for myself as well as afterimages of other kids all gifted. I had a photographic memory in childhood. At an early age, I learned to tattoo words and watched them bleed. I created a paper garden of good and evil in the so-called media capitol of the world. Optimism was my painkiller next to Saint Joseph’s Orange Favored Aspirin For Children. 

 
When I was a boy, I carried Anne Frank while shadows of bullies and burnt-out buildings fell over us after school. At P.S 25, Mr. Marks, my white-haired English teacher, a grandfather figure slightly hunched with a burden of quiet grief, gave Anne to me to keep. “The torch has been passed on to a new generation,” said the country’s first Space Age president. This is my journal, an essay by images and painting by words.

 


Chapter 1: it was a dark and stormy night.

 

“We don’t publish stories by minorities! Anything else,” a woman said before hanging up in a time of great prosperity for the country because of the Internet

 I finally returned to my Fortress of Solitude where I saw Waiting For Super Man and Childhood’s End. This is The Hunt’s Point Public Library, a place of many endings and new beginnings. This is where I found The Lost Boys and A Winkle In Time. 

 This is the house of genius that helped me realize what I was vaguely dreaming of creating.

Now I have access to fly free in cyberspace and aspire to be like a mild-mannered reporter working at a great metropolitan newspaper.

 

Truth, justice and the comic books!

 

Here’s to our public library in The South Bronx of America Where The Wild Things Are.

 

Lol

 


 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment