Friday, November 23, 2012


When I was a kid, I heard voices and saw visions from The City of Angels.

Movies possessed me and they were legion.

Hooray for Hollywood.
My first drug of choice in The South Bronx of America was Television. I OD.


I survived to tell a story about a wish to live life like a Great American Novel.

I wanted it to read like the sci-fi of A Great Comic Book, one worthy of my childhood Fortress of Solitude, The Public Library. Ms Raeside, a beloved 6th grade English teacher who introduced me to Greek mythology, advised me to write what I know.

I know the harassment of poor celebrities by the paparazzi as seen on TV.

                                                   Media Dearest by Danny Aponte

I’ll live up to what Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote: if people knew how to write about their lives everyone would have a great story. So here I go again on my Royal typewriter.

                                      Chapter One: It was a dark and stormy night.

When I was a four-eyed kid, I enjoyed painting pictures with words much as drawing my own comic books. I learned to focus the eye of the viewer inside me and surprised myself with the mystery of creativity.












































One millennium later, on my way home from the library, I found Kodachrome pictures for a slideshow projector, one found on display at The Smithsonian Museum. They were scattered next to a church built in the 1940s on Prospect Avenue in The South Bronx. To illustrate vision on the future of history, I scanned the items from the 1960s into Win98. I used Adobe to make art out of garbage.

I see art everywhere in a universe that wastes nothing.

I dedicate this artwork to the 3 muses: Ms. Flan, my art teacher at P.S 161, my mysterious mentor, Rosie Lewandoski, who painted machines and microchips that talked to me in her studio until The Wonder Years reactivated, and to Carmen, my mother, a pen and pencil factory worker who drew me my first smile on the third rock from the sun. Their magical art insights made me feel like the Ritchie Rich of the South Bronx.














No comments:

Post a Comment